menu : women legal info
SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS
- Work hard to establish trust and communication with your children from day one!
- Don’t ever leave children unattended in a vehicle, whether it is running or not.
- Make sure you know how to find or contact your children at all times.
- Take an active role in your children’s activities.
- As tired as you may be, take the time to listen intently to your children when they tell you they had a bad dream. There could be a reason. Trust your instincts.
- Talk to your children about inappropriate incidents you hear on the news and get their perspective.
- Question and monitor anyone who takes an unusual interest in your children.
- Teach your children that they can be rude to an adult if they feel threatened in any way. They need to hear it from your directly. Because, this message often contradicts everything they have heard before.
- Teach children the difference between an “OK” secret and a “NOT OK” secret. Assure your child that you would never want him/her to feel like they had to keep a “NOT OK” secret from you.
- Have your children practice their most annoying scream. They may need to use it someday.
- Keep your family computer in a central location that is easily monitored and avoid letting your children have internet access in unsupervised areas (i.e. computers in their bedrooms, etc.).